Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : [email protected]
The closing date is on 12.11.2019. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
Operating Division : Transnet Engineering
Position Title : NDT Inspector Level 2
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Engineering
Location : Koedoespoort
Reporting To : Engineer
Grade Level : H4
Reference Number : 30012080
To provide support to production department in terms of welding requirements and adherence to international standards.
RE-ADVERT DUE TO CHANGE IN LOCATION,POSITION BASED IN KOEDOESPOORT PRETORIA
1. Provide guidance to production supervisors on welding and Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) related activities
2. Prioritize Inspections according to production requirements
3. Oversee welders and boilermakers to ensure weld quality is maintained
4. Coordinate and provide technical input for all repairs
5. Be responsible for the safe keeping of all records and other documents that make up the QMS
6. Perform inline welding inspection before welding
6.1. Suitability and validity of welders and welding operators’ certifications
6.2. Suitability of welding procedure specification
6.3. Identity of parent materials
6.4. Identity of welding consumables
6.5. Ensure proper joint preparation according to drawing and code requirements
6.6. Ensure proper fit up, jigging and tacking
6.7. Perform machine verifications
6.8. Ensure NCR process is followed for non-conforming products
7. Perform inline welding inspection during welding
7.1. Ensure correct welding parameters are used according to WPS’s
7.2. Ensure correct preheat and interpass temperatures are used and maintained
7.3. Ensure proper cleaning and shape of runs or layers of weld metal
7.4. Ensure correct welding sequences are followed
7.5. Ensure the correct use and handling of welding consumables
7.6. Ensure proper control of distortion
7.7. Dimensional checks
8. Perform inline welding inspection after welding
8.1. Perform visual inspection on all welds according to NDT plans which includes measurements to standard and relevant welding procedure specification.
8.2. Accept or reject final product based on compliance to construction codes
8.3. Compile, evaluate and record all visual testing
8.4. Compile, complete and upload all inspection packs on TE server
8.5. Maintain a filling system for all inspection packs
9. Apply testing criteria in accordance with applicable specifications or standards and evaluate results.
10. Conduct various NDT tests to locate surface cracks and to ensure quality or detect discontinuities (defects) using multiple method of inspection.
11. Document non-destructive testing (NDT) methods, processes, or results. (Document design or operational test results.)
12. Establish techniques for proper examination of welds under inspection, ensuring strict adherence to safety regulations.
13. Examine structures or equipment using non-destructive testing (NDT) techniques. (Inspect equipment or systems.)
14. Guide the work of non-destructive testing (NDT) trainees or staff. (Supervise engineering or other technical personnel.)
15. Interpret NDT results and help establish root cause analysis for defects
16. Interpret or evaluate test results in accordance with applicable codes, standards, specifications, or procedures.
17. (Interpret design or operational test results.)
18. Interpret the results of all methods of non-destructive testing (NDT) such as acoustic emission, electromagnetic, leak, liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, neutron radiographic, radiographic, thermal or infrared, ultrasonic, vibration analysis, and visual testing. (Interpret design or operational test results.)
19. Liaise with technical specialists
20. Map the presence of imperfections within objects using sonic measurements. (Measure physical or chemical properties of materials or objects.)
21. May instruct and supervise others
22. Organize and report test results
23. Participate in the NCR process
24. Perform other job related tasks as assigned by quality management
25. Perform statistical analysis and establish defect trends over time
26. Prepare reports on non-destructive testing (NDT) results. (Document design or operational test results.)
27. Select, calibrate, or operate equipment used in the non-destructive testing (NDT) of products or materials. (Select tools, equipment, or technologies for use in operations or projects. Calibrate scientific or technical equipment. Operate industrial equipment.)
28. Set up and calibrate non-destructive testing equipment in accordance with quality standards.
29. Visually examine materials, structures, or components using tools. (Inspect finished products to locate flaws.)
30. Perform duties on adhoc based as and when required from a competent authority within line of scope of work.
Qualifications & Experience:
1.Must have Matric (with maths and science) or N3 (with maths and science)
2.Must have successfully completed the theoretical component as a NDT specialist Level 2 in at least one (1) field
(RT & RPO) in compliance with ISO 9712 or Welding inspection level 1 certificate (Legislation pre – requisite)
3.Must be a qualified trade tested artisan Red Seal( welder/boiler maker/Wagon Fitter)
4.Must have 5 years relevant working experience, obtained from previous positions through a career path,
preferable Practical experience as a NDT Quality Officer (Level 1) or Welding Inspector Level
5.Must be prepared to work shift work and standby when required
1. Knowledge of relevant fabrication codes, standards and procedures such as EN, ASME, API, AWS
2. Interpretation of WPS’s, tack and weld sequences, NDT plans and weld maps.
3. NCR process and basic quality principles.
4. Sound knowledge of materials and their behaviour during welding operations
5. Engineering and production processes
6. Read drawings and understand drawings
7. ISO 9001, ISO 3834 and EN 15085
8. Sound technical knowledge in the relevant NDT techniques
9. Have knowledge of basic engineering principles
10. Product knowledge
11. Have knowledge of the Transnet Engineering business environment
1. Computer literacy
3. Problem solving
4. Systematic thinking
6. Communication skills
7. Interpersonal skills
1. Physically fit
2. Visually acuity
3. Eye-hand and feet co-ordination
4. Depth perception
5. Able to work at Heights
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES / ATTITUDE
4. Pro-active and driven
6. Work under pressure
7. Excellent Interpersonal skills
9. Quality orientated