The role has the primary responsibility to uphold brand integrity across the BP supply chain, to deliver all technical aspects of NPD in WBC and to deliver technical initiatives across the supply chain. He/she works as part of the WBC team, but will be required to integrate with various stakeholders within the matrix system in order to be effective in this role.
The successful candidate will be required to critically assess systems and to challenge current operational execution, with the view to improve standards. He/she will consistently make use of in-depth food technology practices to advise current NPD and hygiene/safety practices.
The role is also jointly responsible for the on-time launching of new products or ranges; as well as quality upgrades & value engineering across the range.
The Retail Food Safety Specialist is accountable for developing and maintaining all aspects related to food brand integrity, governed through the QMS (Quality Management System). He/ she will also be responsible for aligning internal processes to SA government requirements and BP Global’s food safety requirements.
Core job specification:
- Align BP QA/QC processes with the minimum legal requirements in the food industry
- Implement a food safety and quality management system across the BP supply chain
- Conduct quarterly quality reviews of internal audits and conduct verification where required
- Raise the level of awareness of food safety and quality across the BP supply chain
- Act as operational liaison between the third party audit/training providers and BP; and compile reports/present appropriate feedback
- Manage the content of all relevant audit/verification reports
- Manage the resolution of non-compliance issues from external audits
- Assess risk and provide immediate feedback to ensure brand integrity protection
- Assess regressing product quality through inspections & report out-of-specification incidents
- Maintain the customer complaint process & timeously answer quality and food safety related customer complaints
- Develop a relevant report system for quality related incidents, e.g. customer complaints, product rejection and product recalls
- Maintain the product recall process
- Conduct relevant training across the dealer network
- Support and participate in supplier management reviews
- Support operations:
- Regularly visit sites, suppliers & distributors to ensure that BP standards are maintained
- Respond quickly to relevant issues raised by stores or the BP field teams
- Ensure communication to field teams and sites is concise, easily interpreted and implemented
- Provide technical support for functional equipment development/sourcing of alternative supply with Design and Procurement departments
- Project delivery:
- Drive and deliver ad hoc projects as required by the Convenience team/other business divisions to help deliver relevant business priorities
- BTech Food Technology or BSc Food Science
Essential experience and job requirements:
- Minimum of 4-5 years relevant experience
- In-depth knowledge of HACCP and GMP procedures
- A sound working knowledge of the SA Food Law
- In-depth knowledge of food supply chain operations
- In-depth knowledge of packaging, products, specifications and quality criteria
- A sound working knowledge of food laboratory procedures
- Ability to implement & verify (audit) food safety and QA/QC procedures
- Ability to drive value optimization (processes & products) across the supply chain
- Ability to deliver the technical procedures associated with the NPD process
- Proactive approach to keep BP informed and abreast of technical advancements as these relate to product and process improvement
- Proven analytical, problem solving and process ability
- Strong integrator – proven ability to work within a complex matrix system
- Diverse experience and understanding of the different food industry sectors will be advantageous
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location):
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications:
- Seek expertise, continually learn and develop the safety and risk management skills of myself and my team
- Listen carefully and consider different perspectives
- Plan carefully, make well informed decisions and do the right thing
- Speak out when I see something is not right and am prepared to say ‘no’ or ‘stop’ when necessary
Support those I work with and help to build the effectiveness of my team to achieve the best results
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day.
We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world’s ambition of a low carbon future.
Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
As one of BP’s three regional fuels businesses in Downstream, Fuels Europe & Southern Africa is delivering today, shaping tomorrow. Our industry is changing faster than at any time in our lifetime.
The world is mobilizing to make low carbon a reality. We will help drive this transition, leveraging digital technology to modernize the way we work and keeping our customers at the heart of what we do.